7.08.2013

Herrera Esteli


This sitting in my ashtray is the Herrera Esteli from Drew Estate. I purchased a couple at a store earlier this year. I chose the robusto, clocking in at 5 and 1/2 inches by 52 ring guage. The wrapper had a very nice sheen and was smooth and beautiful, with no gaps in the seams or cracks in the wrapper. I have to say upfront that I have smoked Drew Estate cigars before, but I was cautious that hype can warp perspective when it comes to cigars. It seems as though, Right from the begining I had a very good feeling about this cigar, Because I love straight up traditional cigars. When I grabbed them that was the impression  I got from its presentation.
And with that, out of the way, Here's the beef;

The first third started out with nice thick flavors med to full bodied and had some pepper and smooth oily flavors. Mild in strength, Very rich and smooth. Smoke output was good and the first third really set the table well for the rest of the cigar.  As I moved into the second third, the cigar trasitions with creamy smooth flavors that become the core of the flavor profile. As I was finishing out the second third, I felt the strength of the cigar come up from up from medium to medium plus. The second third finshes with thick, chewy smoke, and I did notice throughout the second third, like a lot of Liga Privada cigars the footsmoke was belting out ribbons of thick smoke. The last part of the cigar was like a megaphone for the second third profile, Same flavors but up in intensity. The last third the strength crept passing the body about half way through it, and if you smoke it slowly and take your time, you may be able to keep your head above water. However these are strong through the final third.

Things I took away;

- I love the presentation of this cigar. I think simplicity can be rewarded and especially in this day and age.

- I had smoked the other cigar back around the time I bought these, and beware, fresh out of the box, They will bite you if you don't take it easy.

- This is the kind of cigar that I would have never expected Drew Estate to put out and when I heard about it I was very surprised and very curious.

- This is a very good cigar. I would say cubanesqe, and very satisfying

- I wouldn't hesitate to buy a box of these, I think age will be very good to these cigars.

As for a score, I give this cigar 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Note: Don's Cigars.20 E Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85012.602- 248-0160

No comments:

Post a Comment